Friday, September 18, 2009

Pet Peeve

"A pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to them, to a greater degree than others may find it."
Wikipedia

I must confess I have several of these some annoy me more than others but this one REALLY annoys me. Black background with white lettering web page. I can not read them, I usually just skip those kind of pages unless it's something that I'm really interested in and then I make my computer read it to me.

I can not look at the screen because it hurts my eyes and I always feel like screaming at the web designer to tell them how stupid this is and it does not look "cool" or "artsy" anything of the sort.

So what, exactly, is my complaint? If I don’t like the design of a site, I don’t have to visit it. Well yes, but there is a lot of interesting content on some sites that use inverted colors. I just stop visiting. It’s a shame, but my eyes simply can’t take the strain. Did I say it hurts my eyes yes and it gives me a headache!

The reason I thought of this is because there is a gal I met on one of my knitting excursions, Jamie from Chicago "the Yarnsnob" and I would love to read her blog but each time I visit there it is black background with white text. I won't even talk about the animation that keeps moving on the right side that's for another day another rant. Thank you for letting me vent.

1 comment:

Enid said...

I sometimes have difficulty on similar sites, but find that highlighting the text makes it easier to read. have you tried this method?