Thursday, February 08, 2007

Zero Calories but delicous.....

I was grocery shopping at Whole Foods and as I was getting my low fat dairy I saw this woman putting a case of this Cappucino Foam in her cart. I asked what is this stuff, she said whatever it is I love it. No calories and no fat! My kind of food.


I asked the stock boy if there was any more I'd like to try this No calories No fat delicious foam. He tells me that she just took all that they had of the "natural" flavor. So I asked her if she would let me have one can so I could try it. She promply said NO and got away from me as fast as she could.

Well next time I was at the market I beelined over to the dairy section looking for this wonder new food item. I got one! I loved it! It's just like whipped cream and you can make a Cappucino with no fuss no muss and NO Calories. As you can see the Calories part is big issue for me.


FOAM!
Ingredients:
Natural: Fat free milk, sugar, whey protein concentrate, carrageenan

The mystery is the carrageenan? I wonder what that is!

I love this stuff..... far too much ..... I may have to research this it's too good to be true. Usually when something is too delicious it's not good for me or very fattening.

I looked up carrageenan:

Carrageenans or carrageenins (pronounced [ˌkærəˈgiːnəns]) are a family of linear sulphated polysaccharides extracted from red seaweeds. The name is derived from a type of seaweed that is abundant along the Irish coastline near the village of Carragheen. Gelatinous extracts of carrageen seaweed (also known as Irish moss) have been used as food additives for hundreds of years [1]. Research has raised concerns about the health implications of carrageenan consumption.
Well there you have it, there may be health implication of carrageenan consumption. Just as I suspected, it seems everything I like is either fatning or bad for me.

The wonderful world of chemicals in our foods.

When my son was very young he was about 3 and I took him with me to the market and of course he was asking for foods that he had seen on television. I told him that we can not get those cookies because it had too many chemicals in it. Expecting him to say oh thank you Mommy for looking out for me. Instead he turned around and told me that sometimes he likes chemicals they taste really good.

1 comment:

MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

But wait - if it contains sugar, it *must* contain calories, no? How can something have sugar but no calories?!

As for seaweed, I like eating the stuff dried (like they wrap around rice crackers). I'm sure its only questionably (healthwise) if you consume huge amounts...